Position: Elementary School Guide
Salary: Competitive and negotiable plus performance bonus
Job Type: Full-time, Salaried
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree preferred; Montessori training preferred
Start Date: Fall 2022
Full Job Description:
Do you believe that children are more capable than we ever imagined? Do you believe that children should be the agents and primary drivers of their learning, the architects of their own education and life calling?
If your answer to these questions is “yes!”, we’d love to explore how you can join our team of passionate educators at Acton Academy Madison West.
Acton Academy Madison West is seeking an Elementary School Guide who is ready to change the world of education. We have an opening for Fall 2022.
This could be the perfect position for you if you recently finished Montessori elementary training or your first year(s) of guiding and are ready for a more entrepreneurial opportunity.
About Acton Academy Madison West
Acton Academy Madison West, founded in 2022, is an independent affiliate of the Acton Academy network of schools, the fastest growing independent school network in the world. We are a private, project-based learner-driven elementary school (with aspirations to grow into a middle-school and a high-school). We aim to create a positive, growth mindset environment in order to develop curious, independent students who find great joy in creating, learning, and collaborating in a tight knit community while discovering their own personal gifts and talents.
Our mission is inspire each person who enters our doors to find a calling that will change the world.
We combine elements of the Montessori method with Socratic guiding, hands-on experiential quests and interactive technology. Underlying our method is an application of the Hero’s Journey creating a lively learning environment that feels more like an adventure than school.
At Acton, we have mixed-aged classrooms called “studios” with a self-paced learning design as opposed to grade-levels. Our real-world oriented quests culminate in a public exhibition of learning as opposed to test scores and report cards. In all areas of Acton life, our students are empowered to be in the driver’s seat of their learning.
We are seeking a full-time Guides to work with our 6.5-11 year-old learners. We are looking for self-motivated, entrepreneurial individuals who are passionate about guiding children on their independent journey of lifelong learning, and who possess an understanding of the Hero’s Journey and the Socratic Method. Guides are not teachers in the traditional sense of the word. Guides are coaches and mentors.
Our Guides will learn to lead Socratic discussions and will learn how to work with the Acton Academy learning design, processes and systems. We have built in a period of learning and training before the studio goes live with learners.
A Guide’s ultimate goals are to Equip, Connect, and Inspire. Successful guides equip learners to explore and take ownership of their learning, monitor progress on curriculum, and create life-oriented projects that nurture curiosity.
If interested, as your first step in this process, please read deeply through our website: http://www.actonmadison.com. We also recommend reading Courage to Grow: How Acton Academy Turns Learning Upside Down by Laura Sandefer.
In collaboration with the guide team, the guide will oversee a class of 7 – 10 students initially, which will grow over time to a full studio. She/he will be responsible for facilitating the development of a studio culture of hard work, high standards, warmth, and joy. She/he will:
· Prepare the studio environment so that expectations are clear and learners are set up for success
· Facilitate Socratic group discussions
· Practice the Socratic method at all times (instead of answering questions, guiding students to find the answers themselves)
· Launch quests (project-based learning)
· Guide children in self-governance
· Guide students in setting goals, tracking their progress, and creating portfolios of their work
· Guide children in creating meaningful exhibitions of their work
· Seek to pass the responsibility for the studio and for learning to students as quickly as possible, so as to allow students to lead themselves
· Model being an independent learner on a hero’s journey and uphold Acton’s promises to students and families
· Write weekly studio updates that will be shared with parents and posted to the school’s blog
· Communicate/meet with parents, as necessary
Though there is existing curriculum to utilize, the guide will be responsible for daily/weekly/yearly planning as well as evaluating and refining the existing curriculum and designing and experimenting with new projects, tools, and approaches.
Qualifications and Experience:
We are looking for someone with a deep curiosity about life, a lifelong love of learning, and an entrepreneurial spirit (must thrive in a startup environment). She/he will be responsible for facilitating a nurturing and joyful studio culture. We seek someone who has:
· Has proven excellence in guiding children (in or out of a school environment)
· Models a growth mindset and loves to experiment, evaluate, and improve upon everything she/he does
· A willingness to be coached and mentored
· Has a deep respect for all children; empathy for the challenges that children face in their lives; and a commitment to peaceful, compassionate limit setting
· Is a quick, independent learner who can take direction and then run with it, requiring little direct supervision/guidance once goals have been communicated
· Has proven excellence in written and oral communications
· Is gifted in assessing and positively influencing group dynamics
· Models effective self-regulation and conflict-resolution skills, and can guide learners in the development of these skills
· Is proficient with Google collaboration tools and conducting online research
· A strong teamwork ethic, a genuine desire to collaborate with colleagues, and a steadfast sense of professionalism
· Understanding of the concepts of Anji play, or willingness to learn
· Base salary of $48k – 58k, depending on experience
· Performance and / or tuition bonus
· All training, professional development and studio supplies costs are covered
· Paid school breaks
· Monday to Friday
· Ability to reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (required)
Please email your resume to Marisa (email@example.com).
About Acton Academy Madison West
Acton Academy Madison West is an affiliate of Acton Academy in Austin, TX. Our mission is for every child who enters our doors to find a calling that changes the world.