Located in St. Louis, City Garden Montessori is in its 15th year as a charter school, having received a second 10 Year Charter with the state of Missouri in 2017. We began in 2008 with 53 students; we will have 450 children in preschool through eighth grade when we begin our 2022-23 school year. As we grow, we continue to seek individuals to join us who share our vision for academic excellence for all children and holistic Montessori education, rooted in equity and social justice.
City Garden is seeking a Montessori certified Early Childhood educator with a passion for academically rigorous, individualized, experiential education in a diverse setting to fulfill the position of Lead Primary Guide. The Lead Guide will be responsible for leading a Primary classroom, and will work with an Assistant Guide.
We are currently operating with the separation of the Primary age group into Pre-K classrooms for ages 3 and 4+ and Kindergarten for ages 5+. Our long-term plan is to combine students aged 3, 4, and 5 into classrooms aligned with the traditional Montessori planes of development. This means that all Early Childhood educators will need to possess, or be willing to acquire, state education certification, in addition to their Montessori certification in Early Childhood education. City Garden will sponsor the right candidate in obtaining their DESE certification.
The candidate must be committed to growing in a school environment that is committed to anti-bias/anti-racism values and practices with a vision to create a more equitable world through education. We are also seeking a candidate who is interested in making City Garden their vocational “home” for many years.
- Establishing rapport and building relationships with students based on trust.
- Creating and maintaining a safe, clean, stimulating classroom where all children feel safe and valued.
- Maintaining a clear, orderly, and attractive Montessori environment, including the care and maintenance of classroom materials and equipment.
- Developing lesson plans, independent learning exercises, curricula, and methods that cater to the needs of the individual child while they learn
- Implementing ABAR principles
- Using various assessment tools/strategies to help make instructional decisions for individual students (observations, children’s work samples, continuums of development, portfolios, etc.)
- Creating and communicating weekly learning plans for all students
- Planning and coordinating classroom field trips supplies budget, and ensuring all resources are used in support of educating students and the school’s mission
- Completing progress reports
- Assisting in the development of and participates in school functions, including but not limited to Parent and Guardian Conferences, Open Houses, Transition Nights, Curriculum Nights, Parent Orientations and the Family Field Day
The full job description may be downloaded HERE.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Teaching, Education, or a related discipline
- 2+ years classroom experience
- Montessori Early Childhood Certification from AMI/AMS or other highly regarded Montessori certifying authority
- Be deeply committed to whole-child education, having proven success and outcomes in meeting children’s needs holistically
- Have a grounding in anti-bias education and antiracist values and principles, and is excited to be part of a school that is reimagining education through these lenses
- Be eager to engage deeply with students, teachers, staff and families as partners
In addition to the qualifications above, the ideal Lead Guide candidate will have certification in BOTH of the following:
- Montessori Early Childhood (Primary) Certification from AMI/AMS or other highly regarded Montessori certifying authority
- Teaching Certification (not Substitute) with the Missouri Department of Education
School hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday
Length of Work Year: August to May (10 month contract), up to 195 days per year, including but not limited to professional development, parent/teacher conferences, and preparatory work
What We Offer
- Ongoing professional development
- Opportunity to contribute to the only high quality public Montessori program in St. Louis
This position offers a salary ranging from $41,000.00 to $54,000.00 based on level of education, certifications and years of teaching experience.
City Garden offers a range of benefits for Full-time employees such as:
- Generous Paid Time-off (Fall, Winter and Spring breaks, holidays, and additional days)
- Paid Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance)
- Pre-Tax savings for family health premium costs
- Retirement Plan Enrollment preference to City Garden Montessori for child(ren) grades K through 8
- Tuition discount for Early Childhood program (Pre-K)
Submit your resume and cover letter which highlights why you are interested in this position to email@example.com
About CITY GARDEN MONTESSORI SCHOOL
City Garden Montessori School (City Garden) is the only Montessori charter school in Missouri, and we are one of the highest-performing charter schools in the state. Our team possesses passion and determination to implement the Montessori approach to educating children in a diverse, public school environment. City Garden is committed to being an anti-biased, anti-racist community and seeks others who are passionate about these values. We are committed to fostering excellence for all City Garden children.