The Founding Teacher will be responsible for facilitating Pre-K students’ emotional and intellectual development within a nurturing classroom environment. They will be intimately familiar with the Montessori approach, and demonstrate the ability to leverage a progressive philosophy (https://harlemvillageacademies.org/progressive-education/) in relationships with students and families. Alongside a team of dedicated educators and leaders, the ideal candidate will work tirelessly to build a collaborative, respectful school community that values student empowerment. We will work alongside the Progressive Education Institute (https://harlemvillageacademies.org/careers/professional-learning/) which is based on the HVA campus.
- Create lesson plans and curricula centered around students’ developing social, intellectual, and emotional skills
- Promote student independence, intellectual curiosity and intrinsic motivation
- Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
- Monitor and assess progress to identify individual student needs
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conference
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field
- Two years of teaching experience in Pre-K is preferred
- Experience teaching in a Montessori school, preferably in an urban setting
- Patience and excellent observational, communication, and diagnostic skills
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive mindset; a very strong work ethic; and an inner drive for excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Harlem Village Academies
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the lab school for the Progressive Education Institute.