Montessori Children’s House is seeking an AMS or AMI Montessori trained (any age level) Administrative Assistant. Hours for this position are 8:00-4:00 M-F, with flexibility and work-from-home options as needed. This position is a wonderful opportunity for anyone interested in learning how a Montessori school operates, and provides an opportunity to spend ample time in our two Primary and two Toddler classrooms.
Our preference is to fill this position for a June 2022 start (start date can be flexible depending on availability). Training and orientation will take place before independent duties begin. Training and Orientation hours can be flexible depending on availability.
Job duties include:
- Maintenance of Student Files and Records
- Annual Immunization reporting
- Assist the Head of School with admissions and enrollment of students and school-wide communications.
- Coordinate substitutes for staff.
- Substitute in classrooms when necessary.
- Monitor janitorial and office supplies, ordering refills when necessary.
- Help maintain shared spaces in the school (Teacher’s Lounge, Lobby, Office, Storage Areas)
- Observe in classrooms & offer insightful classroom support to staff and students as needed (strong emphasis on Inclusion)
- Assist staff with material making.
- Assist the Head of School with staff development, leadership, and recruitment.
- Attend and Assist with all-staff meetings and other meetings as requested by the Head of School.
- Assist in other projects and duties as outlined by the Head of School.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A commitment to active engagement within our Anti-Bias and Anti-Racist school community
- Compassionate understanding of young children’s tendency towards high emotions and a warm and patient demeanor whilst helping them navigate and acclimate to the school environment
- Strong command of small group gatherings (or strong desire to learn/refine)
- A commitment to follow all licensing guidelines and school standards to ensure the daily care of every child
- Completed required training that provides insight on child care and development topics
- Commitment to participation in continuing education (the school provides a stipend for this)
- Versatility and flexibility
- Love of cleanliness and order
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- A spirit of collaboration and a strong desire to participate fully within the school community
- Active enrollment in Oregon’s Central Background Registry,
- Current Infant/Child CPR & First-Aid training,
- Food Handler’s Certificate,
- Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect (RRCAN) training,
- Introduction to Child Care Health and Safety (ICCHS) training,
- Prevention is Better Than Treatment (PBTT) training
Any applicant who hasn’t already completed these trainings will have up to 30 days after their hire-date to meet these requirements.
Please be advised, per ORS 339.374 MCH must contact all successful candidates’ previous schools of employment, even if they’re not listed as a reference.
Compensation is locally competitive and based on experience / education.
- Professional Development Stipend
- Full Medical/Vision Insurance
- Annual PTO / paid snow days
- Winter, Spring, and Summer Breaks
MCH is a Certified Child Care Center with the Oregon ELD (Early Learning Division). As such we strictly follow and comply with the current guidance and policies set by the ELD. Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and willing to follow current COVID-19 protocols as outlined by the ELD and the school.
MCH is a non-profit school located on Portland’s South Waterfront and is easily accessed by bike and public transportation. Our program is rooted in AMI standards and is composed of encouraging, passionate, and hardworking professionals specializing in authentic Montessori early childhood education. We aim for each child to express comfort and joy with human diversity, to increasingly recognize injustice, and to have the will and the skills to act against prejudice. To learn more about our school, please peruse all pages of our website to get to know us. Video tours are available upon request.
Interested applicants are invited submit the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter describing where you are in your professional journey and why you are interested in this job
- Your resume detailing training and experience
- Three references with names, contact information, and how you are connected to them.
MCH does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, physical or mental ability, or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws in the admission of otherwise qualified students or in the administration of its educational policies or programs, hiring or employment practices.