The mission of Montessori Elementary at Highland Park (MEHP) is to cultivate ambitious, fearless learners through intellectually stimulating, interactive experiences that awaken curiosity, nurture advanced thinking, and promote independence.
We are seeking an Assistant Montessori Teacher who is passionate about the Montessori method and believes in the mission of MEHP to join our team for the academic school year. This individual will help guide students’ activities in a prepared Montessori environment that will challenge each child to develop all skillsets — cognitive, emotional, social, and physical. Montessori experience is welcome. Professional development will be provided for applicants without Montessori experience.
● Assist the Lead Teacher in managing and coordinating classroom activities and schedules
● Maintain inventory and restock classroom supplies and materials as directed by the Lead Teacher
● Assist the Lead Teacher in maintaining the classroom materials keeping a clean and orderly environment
● Assist in preparing and rotating classroom materials, as directed
● Use appropriate positive guidance and discipline techniques with the children
● Supervise and guide group activities and children as directed by the classroom teacher
● Be responsible for the safety and well-being of students at all times
● Maintain positive interaction with students, staff and parents at all times
● Attend staff meetings and parent meetings, as requested
● Assist with projects, programs, and other planning as assigned by the Lead Teacher or Director of School
● Observe and communicate regularly regarding students or parents to the Lead Teacher
● Help supervise students during fire drills, tornado drills, etc.
● Administer First Aid when needed, report injuries immediately to a Lead Teacher and fill out proper documentation of the incident
● Adhere to school policies
● Perform other duties, as directed by the Lead Teacher and the administration
● Must have a solid foundation in Earlier Childhood Education and Child Development
● Currently attending a MACTE accredited teacher training program preferred
● Ability to perform the duties of the assistant, and the desire to learn and adapt to the Montessori philosophy.
● Have the physical capacity to work with preschool/kindergarten aged children (includes but is not limited to: bending, minor lifting, working on the floor)
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● CPR and First Aid certified
● Must be willing to undergo criminal background check
Compensation to be determined by working experience and education.
Located on the site of the former Highland Park Grammar School, Montessori Elementary at Highland Park will be an anchor institution in one of Chattanooga’s most vibrant and diverse urban neighborhoods. Founded in 1889, Highland Park is an historic district that is experiencing explosive growth and redevelopment. Attention garnered through revitalization efforts have transformed Highland Park into an eclectic community defined by tree-lined residential streets, lush green spaces, outdoor recreational parks, local businesses, and outstanding schools.
MEHP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Board of Education will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
About Montessori Elementary at Highland Park
Montessori Elementary at Highland Park is a co-educational, public charter school that offers an educational program for children, PreK 3 through 5th grade. In the heart of the Highland Park community, the school serves families from all backgrounds and provides a dynamic, participatory environment that integrates Montessori childhood education with STEAM experiential learning.