The Assistant Teacher supports the Lead Teacher and the Director by helping to create a caring and safe environment for the children and assisting in activities to improve the overall care and quality of education. S/he must be able to communicate, listen and work well with others in a team environment. Assisting the staff in implementing a quality educational program and in developing positive relationships with the children and their parents, the Assistant Teacher observes and documents children’s interest and progress, and relays that information back to parents and staff. The Assistant Teacher is responsible for implementing developmentally appropriate activities based on children’s interests and needs under the direction of the Lead Teacher and the Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist as needed with decorating, reorganizing, and keeping the classroom refreshed and relevant
- Collaborate with teachers to monitor the development of each child
- Work with each child to promote their individual learning goals
- Keep classroom supplies and materials organized
- Lead classroom circle time as requested by Lead Teacher
- Attend required staff meetings
- Maintain positive and clear communication with Lead Teacher and Director
- Assist in preparing for Parent-Teacher conferences
- Embrace our philosophy, teaching style, and behavior management techniques
Help keep the teacher workroom/resource room neat & tidy and keep the classroom clean (countertops cleaned, supplies in proper bins, etc).
- Strong interpersonal and the ability to work effectively with a team.
- Professional child care experience is preferred
- Effective verbal and written communication skills. ·
- Pediatric First Aid/CPR (may be obtained after employment).
- Strong understanding of child development.
- Acceptable Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Ability to carry a child with total weight of 50 pounds.
- Patience and flexibility; ability to manage preschoolers in a calm manner.
- Ability to relate well to young children and adults.
- A nurturing teacher approach exhibiting respect for all and joy for teaching.
- A commitment to fulfill the mission of the Centre.
- A commitment to maintain professional attitude and loyalty to the Centre.
- A commitment to treat children, parents, and staff with respect and dignity.
- Competitive wage
- Paid sick days
- Free parking
- Professional development
- Carrier progression
About Oange Seeds Montessori Centre
At Orange Seeds Montessori Centre, people are at the heart of everything we do. Our mission is ambitious. We offer inclusive and well-rounded programming inspired by the Montessori philosophy. We’re passionate about creating a strong foundation for our children to build upon for the rest of their lives.