The World Community Education Center is seeking a dedicated and nurturing Primary teacher/guide for a mixed age classroom of 7-10 students, to begin August 2021.
We are seeking someone who cares deeply about children and is eager to join our small, family-oriented school community on a beautiful rural campus. The ideal educator will guide students’ academic, social, physical, emotional and spiritual needs; challenging each child to reach their fullest potential, in accordance with the Montessori philosophy.
The Primary Teacher/Guide is the anchor for the student experience and is responsible for:
- creating and maintaining the classroom environment
- preparing lesson plans for each child
- preparing daily group activities
- facilitating smooth transitions throughout the day and supervising snack, lunch and recess
- monitoring each child’s attendance, prepare progress reports, and communicating with parents both informally and formally, through parent teacher conferences
- attending a weekly staff meeting and work with the staff team in other capacities, as requested.
Ideal candidates should possess:
- At least one year of teaching experience or
- B.A. of B.S Degree
- AMI, AMS, or MACTE Primary Montessori diploma or in training (See note below.)
- Montessori Experience or in training (See note below.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A patient and nurturing character
- Ability to maintain and create clear guidelines and expectations for students
- Appreciation for diversity
- Love of the outdoors and nature
- Love of service and community
- Enthusiasm for and experience with the age group
- Ability to commute daily to our rural school or relocate. (Housing assistant near the school is available.)
NOTE: We welcome newly trained Montessori teachers. We are also happy to hear from candidates who are interested in, but do not yet have, Montessori certification. WCEC can offer teacher training and support for candidates interested in learning and growing with us.
At WCEC, all teachers actively share in the general support and care of the school community and participate in community service. Responsibilities for this position also include collaboration and participation in school-wide, co-curricular activities.
Hours and schedule: This is an on-site position (not virtual), 36 hours per week.
Compensation & Benefits: Starting pay begins at the equivalent of $12 per hour and is negotiable based on level of experience. Tuition discounts provided to staff wishing to also send their children to WCEC. For applicants who do not currently reside with commuting distance, limited housing options are also available as part of one’s potential package. At this time, no health or retirements are benefits provided.
Interested? Please send your letter of interest and resume to Atefeh Leavitt, Head of School, AtefehL@gmail.com
WCEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is continually seeking to diversify its staff. WCEC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or national ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, hiring policies, admissions policies, financial aid and other school-administered programs. People of color and members of other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
About World Community Education Center
WCEC is an independent and non-profit Montessori and Evolutionary Education™ school. For more than 45 years WCEC has been providing a spiritually and values-based education in a community setting. Located in a beautiful natural environment in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains of southern Virginia. Classes are sized between 5 and 10 students, serving ages from Primary (pre-K) through High School (12th grade) with a proven record of academic excellence and learning through service.
Our campus is located on an 80-acre community property with trails, stream, pond, a large organic garden, farm animals, and wildlife. Students and teachers are encouraged to explore and utilize the natural environment as a learning space. Our teachers enjoy a supportive faculty community, well equipped classrooms, and support for continuing education.
The World Community Education Center is strengthened by our connection to two “sister-organizations:” the World Community, one of the oldest intentional communities in the U.S., with about 50 dedicated people rooted in the spiritual practice of Sufism, and Legacy International (http://www.legacyintl.org), an international non-profit organization serving young and emerging leaders from around the world. These organizations, and our strongly engaged parent community, provide a wealth of support, opportunities and diversity for students and staff at WCEC. Interested job applicants can request more information about housing and association with the World Community.